Jobs at LeAp
How To Apply:
No telephone inquiries please.
Description: Seeking candidates to teach NYC public school students in grades K-12 on a consultant basis in the following subject areas:
- DANCE TEACHERS---To teach all academic subjects through as many styles as possible: hip hop, modern, ballet, ballroom, African, Latin, capoeira
- MULTIMEDIA ART TEACHERS---To teach all academic subjects through as many as possible: web design, animation, graphic design, film/video
- MUSIC TEACHERS---To teach all academic subjects through instrumental music, chorus, instrument building, and digital music production.
- VISUAL ART---To teach all academic subjects through murals, puppets, masks, bookmaking, painting, watercolor, graphic design.
- THEATER TEACHERS---To teach all academic subjects through playwriting, acting/directing, play production, improvisation
- SCIENCE TEACHERS---To teach hands-on programs: water ecology, ecology, environmental science, animal and plant diversity, geology, physics, simple machines
Requirements: Candidates should have 2-3 years teaching experience with K-12 students, experience leading a class by themselves, experience teaching academic subjects, be available three or more days per week (to teach classes of 35 students during the school day and 20 students after school), and be willing to teach in schools in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan.
Salary: $100 to $130 per day
TEACHING ARTISTS - LeAp's Active Learning Leads to Literacy Program (ALLL K-2), and Arts Learning Leads to Literacy Program (ALLL 3-5)
Description: We are seeking artists and creative individuals interested in teaching LeAp’s very effective and engaging Active Learning Leads to Literacy (ALLL) early childhood literacy program. ALLL teaching artists teach phonics, reading, listening comprehension, grammar, sentence structure and writing to grades K-2 and/or 3-5 using ALLL’s hands-on, arts-based strategies which combine music, movement, drama, visual arts, cooking, and games. Individuals should be comfortable using a wide variety of activities in teaching and be open to exploring new ideas. All teaching artists will also participate in monthly staff development workshops at NYU, where they will collaborate on curriculum planning with their respective classroom teachers. Each ALLL class is one hour long. Openings are available to individuals willing to teach two to four classes a day, either two or four times a week.
Education: Attendance at all training sessions is required. Bachelor's degree with experience in visual arts and theater and teaching experience with a middle school population preferred. Artists must have strong teaching and classroom management skills; proven experience and ability to teach BOTH visual are and theater arts; excellent writing skills, the ability to write in several genres; an understanding of grammatical construction; at least 3 years of early childhood/elementary school classroom teaching experience; knowledge of early childhood literacy; strong interest in at least one art form; confidence using many art forms; and flexibility.
Salary: $50 per class plus additional funds for monthly PD workshops, planning, and staff development.
Send resume and cover letter to teachingartist @leapnyc.org and write “ALLL Teaching Artist” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Thank you!